We've Moved! Join Us!

Sigma Flare Palette

Finally!  I'm so excited to be able to start posting about the Sigma eye shadow palettes.  I received mine a month ago and despite having taken some product photos, I thought it best to do some a little test first and try to conjure up a look to go with the palette.  Plus, I think I've been doing too many Sigma posts back to back in this space I felt I should break it up a bit.


Each palette is priced at US$35 and is available for purchase on the Sigma website.  Assuming a brush value of US$9 (the full size brush retails at US$9/each), each eye shadow is only US$3.25 (less than RM10/each)! Click on the image above to purchase and receive a free gift with your order.

Anyways, there are 3 palettes altogether: Flare, Dare and Bare.  The package came with a little leaflet (Sigma's signature) that talks more about the palettes as well as a sample look for each.

Palette Leaflet

I was quite surprised at the actual size of the palette.  It's approximately +3/4in in length, +1/3in depth and height compared to the Urban Decay Naked Palette.

I'm starting off with the Flare palette so here we go.


Flare Palette (in sleeve)

Flare Palette (sleeve and palette)

Flare Palette (opened)

The palette comes with 8 eye shadows and a double ended brush.  For Flare, you'll get the E55 Eye Shading Brush and E40 Tapered Blending Brush.  The palette is made of hard durable cardboard (not plastic and thicker than theBalm & Urban Decay palettes) which is recyclable, features a decent size mirror and is secured shut by a magnets embedded at the long edge of the palette.


The brush quality is quite similar to the full size version which is great.  As with any new brush, you will need to give it its initial wash first prior to use.  My E40 had some breaking and shedding but I expect that to be a non-recurring problem.  Bristles are soft and pick up color well.  I did have to use my E25 Blending Brush as well to create the look below for adding color to my outer corner and crease and simultaneously blend.  The E40 was a bit big for my lids but great for overall blending.

Below are the swatches for all the eye shadows in the palette without a base/primer:

(L-R) Crush, Oversee, Define, Publicize

(L-R) Resist, Gossip, Allure, Beware

  • Crush - Dark chocolate brown with a hint of sea green shimmer
  • Oversee - Blue green algae with a satin finish
  • Define - Frosty charmeuse with a satin finish
  • Publicize - Semi-matte yellow beige
  • Resist - Plum brown with bronze shimmer
  • Gossip - Matte raisin purple
  • Allure - Bright fuschia purple with blue shimmer
  • Beware - Light blue base pink with iridescent purple shimmer

The colors in this palette are simply beautiful.  As you can see, you can mix and match the shades within the entire palette or see it as two gradients in one palette - first 4 shades for a green look, last 4 shades for a purple look.  One the Sigma website here are a few video tutorials from YouTube beauty gurus using a combination of both the green and purple sides to create beautiful looks that you can try out.

As far as I can tell, the shadows swatch and apply beautifully.  The product offers good color payoff and are easy to blend.  I would however highly recommend applying an eye primer prior to applying these shadows.  Also, I didn't notice any creasing with or without a primer.

Below is a look created with the first 4 shades in the palette and tested with and without a primer (using the same shades from the palette for each eye):



Left Eye (without primer/base):
As you can see from the photos above, the eye on the left is obviously the one sans primer and the eyeshadows just didn't pop at all.  It applied vibrant but as I added more colors and as time passed by, the vibrancy diminished and shadows looked muddy and dull.

Right Eye (with primer - Kat Von D High Voltage Eye Primer in Skin):
Now for the right eye, colors are true to pan and after the 4 hours or so that I had it on, I didn't notice much loss in color intensity.

For one of the looks that I was experimenting on for the palette, I tried using the NYX Jumbo Pencil as a base without a primer.  The eye shadows did show some potency initially but faded significantly once blended with other shades.

Disclaimer: The Sigma eyeshadow palette was sent to me by the company for review consideration as a selected affiliate.  I do not receive any monetary compensation or am I biased or influenced to provide positive feedback on the product. The thoughts and opinions stated are my own and based on my own experience and tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...