I'm sure a lot of you (if not all) are familiar with Birchbox. There's been so much hype going on about this service in the past year and the concept of it is quite appealing. Each box shipped out every month contains 4-5 deluxe samples (and sometimes full size products too!) at a monthly subscription fee of US$10 or you can opt for a yearly subscription of US$110.
When you join Birchbox, you will be greeted with a welcome box to get you started.
In all of the Birchbox boxes, you will receive a little intro card to prepare you for what's in store in that particular box. Also included is another card in pink explaining how to service works and how you can purchase the full size product as well as earn points.
- AHAVA Revival Bath Salts in Mandarin Cedarwood
- I actually received 2 packets of the AHAVA Dermud Foot Cream (4ml/0.14 fl. oz) only instead
- almost 4% of the full size product
- Value: US$1.12
- colorescience pro sunforgettable Mineral Powder Sun Protection SPF30 (1.5g/0.05 oz) in the shade Perfectly Clear - Medium
- 24% of the full size product
- Value: US$6.72
- Kissable Couture Lip Gloss in the shade Glamour (Full size -- 0.16 oz) which is a light bubble gum pink with gold and fuschia sparkles.
- Value: US$22
- Korres Guava Body Butter (50ml/1.69 fl. oz) for dry skin
- 21% of the full size product
- Value: US$6.17
- Tatcha Aburatorgami Blotting Papers (3 sheets) suitable for all skin types and doesn't disturb make up
- 10% of full product
- Value: US$1.20
|Welcome box value:|
My first actual Birchbox came in for the month of November which was themed "Getting Gifty".
Once again there is an intro card with some words from the Birchbox team and on the reverse side, a list of products included in the box accompanied by full size product info (size and price) as well as a very brief description of each product and mine had the following items:
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Lash Lifting Mascara (3ml/0.10 fl. oz) in the shade Black
- 37.5% of the full size product
- Value: US$8.25
- Befine Night Cream (0.5 fl. oz) with Cocoa, Millet and Rice Bran
- 29.4% of the full size product
- Value: US$8.82
- Kerastase Elixir Ultime (5ml) which is a beautifying oil for all hair types
- 4% of the full size product
- Value: US$2.16
- Supersmile Professional Whitening Toothpaste (14.2g/0.5 oz) in Icy Mint flavor
- 11.9% of the full size product
- Value: US$2.50
- [ Treat ] Alex and Isabelle Classic Hair Ties (1 piece) in a shimmery gray color
- 16.7% of full product set
- Value: US$2.00
|November 2011 box value:|
Unfortunately I haven't had the time to try out any of the products but I am excited to try a few of the items I've received. Since I don't have dry skin, I've given the Korres Body Butter (which has a 4.4 out of 5 rating by Sephora beauties) to my brother instead and in my opinion is of a good size for a sample. It's more of a travel version of the product. The Kissable Couture Lip Gloss came full size and I was happy it came in the box because I had been curious about it since Ren from Makeup By RenRen talked about it around end of 2010 (Ren's blog post and video). It looks like a pretty color and although I don't particularly like shimmer glosses, I'm definitely giving this one a try. The colorescience sunscreen would be interesting to try as well. I'm curious to find out if it's anything like the elf SPF45 sunscreen which comes in a similar form. And yes, another mini mascara to add to my mini mascara stash. *smiles*
Overall I think that so far the boxes are definitely a cool way to try out new products that most probably I won't purchase otherwise. The total value of the products in each box has exceeded the amount I paid for them (yay!) and most items come in a decent size. I like how the products are varied and not focused solely on make up too. The packaging is simple and samples are beautifully wrapped in hot pink tissue paper.
Are you a Birchbox subscriber too? Like it, love it, hate it or over the fence about it?