We've Moved! Join Us!

Battle of the Lash Curlers: Shu Uemura vs Urban Decay

Here's a post I've been wanting to write about for awhile.  A comparison between the cult favorite Shu Uemura eye lash curler and the significantly different Urban Decay The Revolution.  The Urban Decay curler is no longer available for purchase (previously priced at US$20) at the moment but I figured I'll give my opinion on the products anyways.


The Curl

Left: Shu UemuraRight: Urban Decay
(Both eyes without mascara)

Click image to enlarge

The Comparison

I've had the Shu Uemura curler for a few years now and it still works wonderfully on me.  The frame is durable despite being lightweight.  The curve of the grip fits my eye contour perfectly and it is wide enough to not snag on (or miss) my inner and outer corner lashes.  Each curler comes with an extra silicone pad but if you've used up both pads, you will have to repurchase the curler as Shu Uemura does not sell the curler's silicone pads individually (or as a pack).  You don't need to put too much pressure when crimping your lashes with this one either.  The result, beautifully curled lashes that not only looks natural but also you don't get that awful crimp dent.

Shu Uemura Eye Lash CurlerPrice : RM60

During the Urban Decay release last year, I hesitated purchasing The Revolution High-Performance Lash Curler.  It looked interesting and I thought would help crimp falsies and my natural lashes together so that they blended better.  The construction of the tool looked, well, revolutionary and was completely different from your average lash curler.  After watching the accompanying video on the Urban Decay website, I thought I'd give it a try and was excited when it came in the mail.  It is slightly shorter than the Shu Uemura curler with a somewhat bulkier frame.  The crimper was open ended and was attached to a spring mechanism.  The tool also came with extra silicone pads (5 actually) and padded inner finger loops (for comfort?).  The crimping head is slightly more curved than Shu's but also about 30% shorter (not the best to use for a longer lash line).

Urban Decay The Revolution High-Performance Eye Lash CurlerPrice : US$20

The bar at the center of the top part of the crimper makes it difficult to work with with false lashes on.  I felt that it was much easier to simply pressed lashes together with my fingers to achieve the desired results I had hoped with the curler.  I also felt that this fancier 'revolutionary' design makes crimping your eyelids a bit easier (ouch!).

The Verdict

Personally, I felt the Shu Uemura is still the clear winner.  The simple conventional design just works.  I've tried generic brands (i.e. no brand) in the past and have met with pinched eyelids and snagged lashes. Shu's curler applies even pressure throughout the lash line in one smooth motion resulting in beautifully curled lashes.  Apply a good mascara and curls last all day and I didn't have to bust out the hairdryer to heat up the tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...